Program for Panel Session and Tutorials (as of July 30)
Posted: 12 April 2008 11:13 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2004-11-12

To continue building a community of qualitative scholars at the Academy of Management, this fourth installment of the Power of Richness PDW wants to bring together members of all divisions of the Academy. We start again with a panel discussion composed of leading scholars (Jane Dutton, Martha Feldman, Royston Greenwood,and Ann Langley) and journal edtiors (Peter Bamberger-AMJ, John Wagner-ASQ, Martha Feldman-OS, Ed Zajac-SMJ, and Lorrainne Eden-JIBS). All panelists will speak about how qualitative methods help us ask better questions. The panel discussion will be followed by a second part in which participants can interact with the panelists, receive hands-on tutorials (by Mauro Guillen-U Penn, Deborah Dougherty-Rutgers, and Peer Fiss-USC) on various topics, or receive feedback on a working paper. To make the logistics of the large workshop more manageable, the panel and tutorial session will be held in one room and the paper feedback session (OMT PDW 10450) will be held in another room.

Tentative Program Schedule for PDW, Friday, Aug 8 2008 1:00PM - 5:00PM at Anaheim Convention Center in 204B,  organized and facilitated by Diana Day & J. Peter Murmann

Panel Session
1 to 2.00 Panelists presentations:  Jane Dutton, Martha Feldman, Royston Greenwood, and Ann Langley
2 to 2.15 Discussion and Q&A;with panelists
2.15 to 2.45: Presentation by Editors: Peter Bamberger-AMJ, John Wagner-ASQ, Martha Feldman-OS, Ed Zajac-SMJ, and Lorrainne Eden-JIBS

Parallel Sessions
3 to 3.45 Tutorials Round 1: Kim Elsbach, Deborah Dougherty, Peer Fiss
4 to 4.45 Tutorials Round 2:  same as above

........Descriptions of tutorials are provided below

3 to 5 Meet the Editors & the Panelists
Editors:    Peter Bamberger-AMJ, John Wagner-ASQ, Martha Feldman-OS, Ed Zajac-SMJ, and Lorrainne Eden-JIBS Panelists:  Jane Dutton, Martha Feldman, Royston Greenwood, and Ann Langley

3 to 5   Paper Feedback Session For details on this part, go to http://professor-murmann.info/index.php/forums/viewthread/23/

Description of Tutorials

1.  Kim Elsbach—Theoretical Framing of Qualitative Research

In this tutorial I will discuss three different ways to frame qualitative research based on three different goals of qualitative research (Leet et.al., 1999). ?These goals are: (1) new theory generation, (2) theory elaboration, and (3) theory testing. ? Participants will evaluate their own work in progress to determine which goal best defines a current project, and then will develop an outline for their theoretical framing. 

2. Deborah Dougherty—Dealing With Evil Reviewers

Like most qualitative researchers, my (most excellent!) work continues to be rejected once or twice.  This tutorial is a discussion of when, how, and why reviewers hate our work and what to do about that, so bring war stories from personal experience on both sides of the process: submitting and reviewing others? work (you might be my evil reviewer!).  I will outline my own best guesses on avoiding or dealing with reviewer problems (proper framing including very cool questions, deep and rich theoretical findings, lots of data, big so whats); and when to walk away from a journal and/or ignore reviewers.  We will crystallize some take-aways for us all from our discussion.

3. Peer Fiss—Using Qualitative Comparative Analysis (QCA) and Fuzzy Sets ? A Practical Example

A growing number of organization researchers are turning to Qualitative Comparative Analysis (QCA) to examine situations where causality is complex and equifinal, i.e. where there is more than one path to an outcome.  My presentation offers a practical introduction to working with set-theoretic methods such as QCA and fuzzy sets, and particularly with the fs/QCA software package.  Using an empirical example, I will show how fuzzy set QCA can allow for a sophisticated analysis of complex causal relations, particularly suitable for situations where causality is difficult to examine using standard statistical methods.

Organizer: Diana L. Day; Rutgers U.;
Organizer: J. Peter Murmann; AGSM-Australian School of Business;
Distinguished Speaker: Jane E. Dutton; U. of Michigan, Ann Arbor;
Distinguished Speaker: Royston Greenwood; U. of Alberta;
Distinguished Speaker: Martha S. Feldman; U. of California, Irvine;
Distinguished Speaker: Ann Langley; HEC Montreal;
Participant: Mauro F Guillen; U. of Pennsylvania;
Participant: Edward Zajac; Northwestern U.;
Participant: Peter Bamberger; Technion Israel Intitute of Technology;
Participant: Deborah J Dougherty; Rutgers U.;
Participant: Lorraine Eden; Texas A&M;U.;
Participant: John A Wagner; Michigan State U.;