Upated Information: Detailed Program for the Workshop
Posted: 29 April 2007 06:24 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2004-11-12

Schedule for PDW, August, 3, from 1pm to 5pm, Philadelphia Marriott in Liberty Ballroom C,  organized and facilitated by Diana Day & J. Peter Murmann

Panel Session
1 to 2.00 Panelists presentations:  Stephen Barley,  John Van Maanen,  Andrew Hargadon,  Bill McKelvey
2 to 2.15 Discussion and Q&A with panelists
2.15 to 2.45: Presentation by Editors: Linda Argote, Arie Lewin, Sara Rynes, Edward Zajac, John Wagner

Parallel Sessions
3 to 3.45 Tutorials Round 1: Karen D Locke, J. Peter Murmann, Klaus Weber, Mark Zbaracki
4 to 4.45 Tutorials Round 2:  same as above

Descriptions of tutorials are provided below

Meet the Editors
3 to 5   Participants:  Linda Argote, Deborah Dougherty, Michael Pratt, Sara Rynes, Edward Zajac, John Wagner

Paper Discussions
3:30 to 5

Discussants:  Jean Bartunek, Diana Day,  Kimberly D Elsbach, C. Marlena Fiol, Mariann Jelinek, Candace Jones, Mitchell P Koza, Chet Miller, Nicolaj Siggelkow, and Christine Quinn Tran

Important Note about Paper Discussion Session
Participants interested in submitting a working paper for feedback in the working paper discussion groups need to send their papers (more than 10 and less than 35 pages) to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) (.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)) at by July 10. Each paper should provide several key words on the title page indicating the type of qualitative method, data, and analysis techniques used. Working papers will be accepted for evaluation and feedback in this part of the workshop on a basis of first-come, first-served until we fill all the slots we can make available. ONLY those participating in the working paper sessions need to register through submitting a paper. All other parts of the PDW are open to everyone.

Description of Tutorials
1. Karen Locke—Theoretical Framing

Qualitative researchers pursing emergent research designs face the challenge of theorizing across two worlds: we have to find abstract representations of the talk and interaction encountered in the field to create a coherent field story that simultaneously extends theorizing in the Academy. I will explore different ways of framing field stories so that they amount to more than a collection of categories and different ways of integrating field experience with disciplinary theorizing.

2.  Peter Murmann—Integrating Qualitative and Quantitative Approaches in the Comparative and in Longitudinal Studies

I will talk about the fallacious aspects of the qualitative/quantitative distinction, how one can enrich ?quantitative? studies with the comparative, qualitative method, and vice versa. I will suggest ways in which qualitative comparative studies can have high internal and external validity, and they can be used to test as well as build theory. I will also lay out strategies I developed to collect at the same time qualitative and quantitative data. I will also briefly talk about automatic coding of archival sources. 

3. Klaus Weber—Computer-assisted and Computer-automated Analysis of Textual Data

This tutorial provides an overview of the most common forms of computer-assisted and computer-automated analysis of textual data. I will cover and compare major approaches to automated analysis currently used in organization studies, namely varieties of content, network and map analysis. A good part of the session consists of a hands-on walk-through of concrete steps in the process of moving from documents or recordings to analysis and presentation, using an example document and software demo. I will also address questions such as, What analytic approach is suitable for my data?  When should I use automated, computer-assisted or manual analysis? What types of software is available? How can I present the outcome of my analysis in a systematic and intuitive fashion? I expect the session to be fairly interactive, with plenty of opportunities to ask specific questions.

4. Mark Zbaracki—What is an Insight

In seeking to do original research, one of the central questions for any scholar is figuring out how they can provide insight given the wisdom of the research that has gone before them. This question is all the more pressing for those doing qualitative research, because such work relies primarily on the observations of the scholar for its insight. In this tutorial, I will use a variety of examples to demonstrate how to use qualitative work to provide insight. I begin by showing how a properly chosen sample can generate insight, but then focus in detail on how data collection and analysis can generate insight from qualitative data. I argue that research that generates insight relies on the research that has been done before.

Details on the Presenters

Participant: Stephen Barley; Stanford U;
Participant: John Van Maanen; Massachusetts Institute of Technology;
Participant: Andrew B. Hargadon; U. of California, Davis;
Participant: Bill McKelvey; U. of California, Los Angeles;
Participant: Deborah J Dougherty; Rutgers U.;  Associate Editor Organization Science
Participant: Klaus Weber; Northwestern U.;
Participant: Karen D Locke; College of William and Mary;
Participant: Mark J Zbaracki; New York U.;
Participant: Mauro F Guillen; U. of Pennsylvania;
Participant: Nicolaj Siggelkow; U. of Pennsylvania;
Participant: Kimberly D Elsbach; U. of California, Davis;
Participant: Chet Miller; Wake Forest U.;  Associate Editor AMJ
Participant: Candace Jones; Boston College;
Participant: Sara L Rynes; U. of Iowa; Editor AMJ
Participant: Linda Argote; Carnegie Mellon U.; Editor Organization Science
Participant: Edward Zajac; Northwestern U. Co-editor of SMJ
Participant: John A Wagner; Michigan State U.; Associate Editor ASQ